Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Love and Lies: Rihanna and Eminem's Controversial Music Video

Domestic violence. A sensitive, serious issue that affects many including young adults and teens. Rihanna and Eminem join forces for the intense "Love the Way You Lie" and the eye-opening music video from Eminem's recent album "Recovery." If you guys don't already know, Megan Fox and Dominic Monaghan are the featured couple in this love-hate relationship video, and give commendable performances. I love this song and music video, and quite frankly can't get enough of it due to the raw emotion and its honesty. I admire how these two influential artists address an issue affected couples think they can't resolve or can sweep under the rug.

Eminemn ft. Rhianna's "Love the Way You Lie" video

I find gravely unfortunate that many couples find themselves in toxic relationships like the one portrayed in "Love the Way You Lie." It's fantastic that this issue was produced without fear to how the media and the public would react to its release. Along with other relationship problems, domestic violence shouldn't be a hush-hush matter. I understand the people involved may not think there's a problem. Or maybe they don't know how fix their issue. The couple may be embarrassed or ashamed. Those reason except for the first are justifiable. However, there will be no solution or prevention if the victims don't speak up.

So, what do you think about the song and/or video? Wondering if it reflects Rihanna and Eminem's past relationships with Chris Brown and Kimberley Anne Scott, respectively? Joseph Kahn, director of the video, says, "The video isn't about Rihanna and Eminem," according to his interview with MTV.

"There are definitely things in both Rihanna and Eminem's [lives] that we have to be very sensitive about when we were making this video, [but] it's not a story about Eminem or Rihanna," he said. "It's a specific thing that I created for Dominic and Megan to play two people with very specific story lines to each other. These are fictional characters in my head but obviously based on real human beings."

Joseph Kahn's MTV interview about "Love the Way You Lie"

The reason why I earlier stated why I can't get enough of this song and video is because of the fact someone was fearless enough to create it, its raw emotion (I love raw emotions) and how it is somewhat relatable. It reminds of a relationship (who I'm sure I'll mention as I continue this blog) that I thought was fine. There was no violence involved whatsoever. But, there was the mind-playing of games, who had more control over the other and keeping one another at a distance while trying to maintain some kind of closeness. Is that not crazy?

To keep this LONG STORY of my four years in college with this good-for-nothing, waste of time, bastard a**hole short, after several bullsh*t incidences between us after he said he liked me and then wanted be friends, he never had feelings for me and then he wanted to go on dates to see where we could go but then didn't want to be in a long term relationship, I severed all ties with him even when he came back and wanted to resolve things. Of course, this isn't the same as domestic violence. Not even close. But, the emotional damage and toxicity are still there, and are ignited every time I hear this song. So, maybe I shouldn't listen to it. But, the lyrics are powerful.

Because at the time I was with this guy, it was
"It's so insane cause when it's going good, it's going great
But when it's bad it's awful, I feel so ashamed..."

Then, it would be... 
"Maybe our relationship isn't as crazy as it seems
Maybe that's what happens when a tornado meets a volcano
All I know is I love you too much to walk away though"


And even though he seemed like it, I always felt like he was...
"I apologize even though I know its lies
I'm tired of the games I just want her back
I know I'm a liar
If she ever tries to fucking leave again
Im'a tie her to the bed and set this house on fire"


Now, I'm pretty sure the last two lines of this verse in the song wouldn't happen between us in any way, shape or form in real life. But, that doesn't mean it didn't happen emotionally and mentally. Honestly, the sh*t that bastard a**hole put me through, thinking he didn't do anything wrong, I hope he feels and experiences what I felt 50 times over. Next time, he will thoroughly before playing with another girl's emotions and thoughts. Just being honest here. And there's still a lot I'm holding back, but I stop it here.

Love. Hmph. Love. That's definitely not what I had above (which is good. I never thought it was), and still I don't know what it is. Not in the romantic sense. But, as we all know, it's something that no one should lie about. In turn, no one should love a "love" that stands upon deception, denial, and lies.


6 comments:

Petra Opelova said...

I love the song as well. Eminem has good songs in general coz he still cares about the lyrics and meaning of it. Yup, relationships are tricky :/ sometimes you have to be selfish and not let others to take advantage of you. I guess everyone has to go through rough times so he/she can appreciate when the right person comes :)

Carmen Merrick said...

I know right. Relationships are tricky and frustrating. I also appreciate when artists caring about the meaning of lyrics. Thanks for your comment!

CarrieJo said...

Thanks for your deep thoughts on here! This post really got me thinking and I had not seen the music video before. Good stuff here...

Carmen Merrick said...

Thank you for your comment Carrie Jo! I appreciate you seeing what I'm trying to do with this blog post and future ones to come. Mucho gracias :)

Andnowlights said...

Love love love this song and video. They're both simultaneously gorgeous and horrifying to watch and I can't get enough of either. Thanks for such an insightful, non-hateful post about it!

Found you through 20SB! Following you now.

Carmen Merrick said...

Thanks KM! I appreciate your comment!